2014-09-28

Nokia Monster Purity Pro, ANC fix

I recently got a pair of Nokia Purity Pro from a college, he picked up a pair awhile back only to damage the headband as he removed the protective plastic. Nokia sent a pair back to him, as they didn't want the damaged headphones back he gave them to me.

The headset is great, featuring NFC to sync to phones via Bluetooth, according to a few reviews I've read its the best value for Active Noise Cancelling headphones.

So, everything i good then? No, there's a battery saving feature in these headphones, as soon as you remove them from your head the ANC turns off.
Normally this isn't a problem, unless you, like me, have dreadlocks, result? well the ANC randomly switch of the while wearing them, incredibly annoying as this also change the bass.

This morning I fixed this.

Headphones disassembled, you probably don't have to go to this extreme. The part you want to get to is just behind the soft earpieces, use a plastic guitar pick or one of those plastic phone opening things. Be careful, I broke one of tabs holding the earpieces.

Naked Monster Purity Pro headphones
Naked Monster Purity Pro headphones


The fix is really simple, all you have to do is solder 10k resistors between the copper pads above and below the speaker elements.
Actual photo of soldered resistor
Actual photo of soldered resistor

The headphones measures the resistance between these points to determine if you or anything else is close by.

I googled like a maniac to find a fix for this and couldn't find any, so here you go.

Note, I can still turn the ANC off by holding down Volume Down and Previous Track (Both lower buttons on the headphones)

11 comments:

  1. I can't believe you posted this over a year ago. Even though I do have a rather short haircut, the problem manifests itself in exactly the same way.

    You, sir, have no idea how happy you made me by making this information available :) Wish I could repay you somehow.

    Oh, and if you have any advice on how to stop the bluetooth module from interfering with the speakers (if you are listening to something quiet, it's audible) - don't forget to post this as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quick update - the fix did NOT solve the problem after all, just alleviate it a little. ANC still drops out randomly, just not quite as often anymore.

      By now I kinda hate these headphones - but it's not like there are any less flawed ones.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for excellent hack. Fix works like a charm :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello
    If you'll ever disassemble your headphones again, could you send me photos of wires going from one earpiece to another?? My headphones broke and I don't know how to solder those wires and i cant find schematics or photos anywhere...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi.
    Can you tell me how you disassemble it ? i have problem with mic on this headphones and want to open it but dont know where to start

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Napisałem do Ciebie na Facebooku ;)

      Delete
    2. Hi!
      Can you tell me too how can i disassemble it? I can't charge it and i want to repair it

      Delete
    3. Hi. Check out Studio Beats disassembly video. It's quite similar ;)

      Delete
  5. Hey

    could you please tell me how did you dissambly the earpads? I turn in all ways, clockwise, counterclockwise, tearing off, nothing works!!
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to know too

      Delete
  6. Hi! Thanks! Your hack made my ear phones usable again! :-)
    I have really short hair, so there must have been something else switching the ANC on and off constantly (which drived me crazy). I managed to seperate the earpads only using my fingers, without breaking any of the plastic "tags". The operation was done in just 30 minutes, and now the ANC is on constantly! :-)

    ReplyDelete